Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Charlie Brown Trees

Last summer Dan and I planted what we were told would be Hydrangeas in our backyard.  We had ordered them from the Arbor Day Foundation and when they came I was glad that the spot we had prepared for them was in the backyard...to avoid neighborhood humiliation.  Talk about some Charlie Brown trees.  They spent all summer looking like a couple of well watered sticks in the ground.  I had serious doubts about what would become of them.  Just when I had decided that a stick garden was all I was getting in return for my devotion to our pathetic little friends, Spring arrived.  With it came the beginnings of some beautiful Hydrangeas - no flowers yet, but nice green leaves all over with more showing up all the time.  I love looking out my kitchen window and seeing what we had hoped for becoming a reality.  I try to think positively and tell myself how much Dan would enjoy seeing them grow.  Tears are unpredictable and common for me right now and I will admit that I have cried more than once looking at them and wishing that he could see how they've grown.  As time marches on, there are much more significant changes taking place around our house that I desperately wish Dan were here to witness.  Today is Sam and Isaac's 13th birthday.  Does it get more important than that?  Our twin boys who, between the two of them, arrived 6 weeks early, did time in the NICU, had major feeding problems resulting in a feeding tube for 2 years, had 8 surgeries to repair "plumbing" problems, were diagnosed with ADHD and then with autism, dealt with seizures, had physical, occupational and speech therapy at one time or another, experienced public, home, online home and now private school until something finally seemed like a fit....our guys are growing and if I had to guess, I would say they will do just fine.  We put so much work and love into them and I want to be able to look at Dan, the person who was here for every moment, excrutiating or exhilarating, and just know between the two of us that it's paying off.  To remind each other that we did a good job getting this far and that we wouldn't trade our little Charlie Brown trees for anything.  Here's to you, Dan - thank you for pouring yourself into Sam and Isaac's lives with me...what we had hoped for is becoming a reality.

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to the boys...and to you, we all know birthdays are as much about the parents...especially with all you've been through. I think Dan knows...I think he's waiting in joyful anticipation for all of you...and I think he knows how wonderfully it's all going to turn out. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birthday's are important - especially those of our children. Sam and Isaac have been so blessed to have you both as their parents, Spiritual leaders, teachers, comforters, encourages, advocates, servants... The firm foundation you and Dan have established for your children is overwhelmingly evident in each of their lives. I know that the picture is forever changed no matter how the pieces are put back together, but remember that with each step you take and as you live and breath, Dan lives and breaths in each one of your beautiful children.

    When God chose you to be their mom, He knew THEY needed YOU. God also knew that YOU needed THEM, so He chose them especially for you.

    Dan loved his family well and he's proud of you, Linda. You're right, you have done a good job and the boys are going to be more than just fine.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Linda, Lynn L told me about Dan's death and your blog. I've read many of your postings just now today and appreciate your openness and honesty about your journey. I so remember so much of Savannah's and the twins earlier years (especially the twin's late night ride home from TMC.) It just doesn't seem possible how the years have flown by. It would be great to be able to see you all at some point. God is faithful and I learn more about him and his love for each day I live. Thanks for sharing and adding to my knowledge. God bless and keep you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading my blog and for your kind words, Dr. Brumit! It is my hope in writing it that I point to God and His grace, even in the hardest times of life. I have thought often of you and what a great help you were in those early years when I'm sure we were in your office at least once a week! We would love to see you sometime - God bless you in big ways :)

      Delete